Thursday, May 11, 2017

Journey of The White Bear #11: Handshakes not autographs


This clip is a San Francisco Bay Area local program that aired in September, 1986.  I actually moved to Southern California after this was shot and before it aired.  You can see me chasing my bike at 5:07, that's a trick I used to do in parades in Idaho.  It's a lame trick, but it got me in the clip.  At 1:39, on the left, you can see me going into a trick called the quickspin, which was a pretty good trick at the time. 

Life Lesson: Handshakes not autographs

When I started riding with Idaho's only trick team in 1984, I was a completely shy guy who was suddenly doing shows in front of crowds, getting the occasional mention in the newspapers, and even showing up on local TV.  That was all intimidating, but it helped me to start breaking out of my shell.  It also was a time when people started giving me advice on how to succeed, which is pretty funny, because no one saw a future in BMX freestyle.  But random people at shows, adults much older than me, would walk up and say I should do this or that to promote myself and the team.  Luckily for me, my teammate Justin's mom was very extroverted, and booked all of our shows. 

One thing I decided on my own was that when I started meeting sponsored and pro riders, I would shake their hand and introduce myself, rather than asking for an autograph.  Most riders from places away from California would ask pro riders to sign their jersey or number plate or a magazine cover.  But from my first trip to a big event in Venice Beach, California in 1985, I just started introducing myself to the riders and industry people I met. 

To be clear, they were all pretty approachable, it wasn't like walking up to Lebron James at a game today.  But I never asked for an autograph.  I don't know just how much that helped me, but as luck would have it, my dad got a job in San Jose, California in 1985.  The family moved in early summer, and I worked my summer job at a little amusement park in Boise, and then drove to San Jose in late August.  I met Skyway pro freestyler Robert Peterson, who lived in the Bay Area, at a contest the year before.  It took me about a month to track him down in that huge area in those pre-internet days, but I eventually started hanging out with him, Maurice Meyer, the main guy in the clip above, and many other great riders.  I'll go more into how I met these guys in the next post.

Though I wasn't near as good of a rider as most of the Golden Gate Park locals, they welcomed me and I became part of the crew.  I learned several things from hanging out with those riders, but one was that there's a whole different mentality to asking a "famous" person for an autograph (or selfie these days) and introducing yourself.  Even if they meet lots of people and forget you, if you see them again sometime, you can say "I met you at ________ last year and introduced myself."  It's much easier to get a conversation with them than, "You signed my neck at a show last year."  It's a lot less creepy for them, too. 

In every field of endeavor, there are a relatively small number of people who really make things happen.  Taking 20 seconds to introduce yourself may lead to an opportunity down the line.  You never know.

I'm starting up an online store soon to put out my writing and art.  If you like anything you've read here and would like to contribute to my start-up, you can do it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment