Friday, April 28, 2017

Crazy Taxi Stories: Cop a Squat

I was driving a couple of young women home from downtown Huntington Beach in my cab late one night.  We were somewhere in the subdivisions off Magnolia, maybe a mile from the beach.  I dropped the first woman off, and was driving out of the subdivision, back to one of the main roads.  Suddenly, the chick still in the car told me to stop in the middle of the street.  She hopped out, and ran to the back of the cab.  I could feel her sit on the back bumper.  I thought she was lighting a joint or something.  I could see the back of her head in the rear view mirror, but no one had ever jumped out of the cab to light a joint before.  Usually they just lit up, passed it around, and then asked me if they could smoke. 

After a minute or two, the woman ran back around and jumped back in the cab.  "I had to cop a squat," she said, as if it was the most normal thing in the world to pee in the middle of a street at 2 am.  Then she gave me directions to her house, and we headed there. 

It got me wondering.  Why is it that men piss, or take a leak, but women "cop a squat."  OK, I get the squat part, but where did the word "cop" enter that phrase?  It's like suddenly, when a woman has to pee, the police have to be involved.  Do you need a cop to direct traffic or something?  "Move along, move along people, there's nothing to see here."  I never could figure that out. 

Cash Paid Daily, my first zine full of my crazy taxi stories is coming soon, for sale in the Club White Bear online store.  Details soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment